Yield: 12 muffins plus 12 mini muffins
1 15 ounce can 100% pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips, optional
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray muffin pans with cooking spray.
2. Bring pumpkin, ginger, cinnamon and cloves to a simmer in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally, until puree thickens about 5 minutes. Pour into a mixing bowl & allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Whisk in brown sugar and oil, then slowly whisk in eggs.
3. In a separate bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until just combined.
4. Stir in chocolate chips & pecans, if desired. If your pumpkin mixture is too hot when you add the chocolate chips you'll get gorgeous melty chocolate swirls in your muffins instead of chocolate "chips". DELICIOUS either way!
5. Divide batter among the muffin cups and bake until golden and cooked through, about 10 minutes for the mini muffins & 13 minutes for the regular sized muffins.
*P.S. I don't bake these muffins in cupcake papers. I was taking them to a brunch so I put them in the cupcake papers to be easier to transport & serve.